Tuesday 23 May 2017

For my final semester of 4th year I'm making work which deals with the Syrian Refugee Crisis and global warming.  I picked these two topics to follow up on studying Donald Trump from last semester.  He has made it perfectly clear how he stands on both these issues.  I work on these topics because I feel they are important as both cause terrible human suffering around the world. 

If you would like to read about Trump's stance on refugees and global warming, here are a few articles outlining his opinions and the various steps he has taken while in office to enforce his warped and dangerous ideas.



Above are his stance on global warming.
Below are his stance on refugees.











When I first started thinking about this topic, I likened Trump's lack of compassion and warped mind set to that of "The Joker" from Batman.  This is an A3 size woodblock print and the idea was to portray Trump's evil, black and white look on such a serious issue.  I captioned the corner "Make America Great Again", referencing Trump's presidential campaign.  "Why So Syrias?" mentions Syria while simultaneously referencing the joker's famous catch phrase from Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" "Why So Serious?".  The Joker uses this phrase multiple times in the movie after he's completely lost his mind.  He's pure evil and totally void of empathy and compassion.  To him, life is a big joke and he embraces chaos in the world.  While this is a fictional character, I would argue that this isn't far off of the real threat of one of the most powerful people on the planet who can cause horrendous human suffering by simply signing a sheet of paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment